Tango Appassionata

[Sunday, December 15, 2013]

Zero Degrees Wedding


It's now too obvious why people don't normally get married during the Winter.

It was a chilly, grey-skied morning on Sunday, December 8th, seeing that it was still only 6am. I got to my sister-in-law's place to prep makeup and hair with the rest of the family, to find that most of them were all already very much awake already. Time went by quickly as the makeup artist and hairstylists did their handiwork. Family members on the bride's side continued to make their way in all morning. Food was served and eaten, another pig (already slaughtered one for the previous ceremony) was sacrificed. Next thing we knew, the boys were already outside waiting by the corner of the street. Ready or not, we got the door games going. I got the privilege to wax my brother's leg. Unfortunately for him, he was the hairiest of them all.

Once he successfully reached the bride, we took a short break with more foods before moving onto the tea ceremony. Did she get a lot of jewelry or did she get a lot of jewelry?! Anyway, suddenly we realised we were short on time so we left to head to my brother's place briefly (for the sake of tradition) and then headed to the ceremony venue. More than the expected amount of people showed up but we managed to make it work out. Then the butterflies! Standing up there for the whole ceremony was probably the toughest task of the day. The whole time I was like, can't flinch, can't move so much, did my dress drop too low? is my tag showing? am I smiling enough?? man I'm tired?! when is this over?!? But the practice and the real thing was nowhere alike, especially the location of those pillars! I ended up standing in the wrong place for the longest time until I looked over to the maid of honour to find that I was completely off. #$@&??!

Group photographs followed the ceremony, then followed by more photographs outside in and around the park. This is where the real test began. Hellooo, Winter! Thank goodness we opted to use hairy shawls/capes to keep ourselves warm(er). Even then, our top halves were only barely warmer. Let's not even talk about the other parts. Moments into the photo-taking, we lost all feelings in our fingers. Oh well, who needs fingers anyways! Hours later, we were done and the next part took us to the restaurant for the reception.

We got there to find that another customer had booked some time before our wedding started to do a video. We gave them some slack and allowed them to stay a bit over their time but then they kept sticking around, to the point that our main organiser man took charge and ordered them out. They also took their sweet time making their way out too. We gave them a good staredown to ensure they were on their way.

The night went on without a hitch: more teas were served, many toasts were made, many more speeches were done. But the highlight was my brother who blew us all away with his impressive cheat sheet-less bilingual speech. We all ended in tears and, man, during times like this I'm proud to have a brother like him. I only remember the rest of the night had us scurrying to and from places, eating random things that was served to us on our plates and saying the greeting here and there to the friends and family.

By the end of it all, I was not drunk (fortunately) but I was exhausted to the core. I debated whether to stay at the hotel they had reserved us but opted out because of my lack of drunkness. Also thanks to my great friend Mo2 who offered to give me a lift to my car as well.

I'm glad everyone pulled through and supported each other, regardless of the complications and conflicts. It's hard to make everyone happy but I'm extremely happy my brother (and sister-in-law) took in my parents' suggestions and opinions, and although they were selective, they still adjusted certain things to satisfy all parties.

I'm also grateful that my brother found such an amazing girl (or should I say, grateful that this amazing girl went for my brother :D?). I'm truly feeling and seeing these blessings now. /endsappy

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails