Tango Appassionata

[Sunday, July 20, 2008]

Tales of Phantasia done

So I finished Tales of Phantasia (GBA). My brief review, which is basically just random stuff that come up in my head:

The game is old, I understand that it was remade from a Super famicom game and didn't get ported to GBA until later. Some transitions were slow (e.g. victory fanfares felt like forever) and character responses after getting hit were even slower. After a few hours in, I got used to them though. The voices were also a treat; the quality was horrible since it came out of GBA quality, but there were voices nonetheless (for their skill moves) so that was still nice.

There are a few battle scenarios (usually solo) when you can get stuck between two monsters and... get stuck there forever and die... so that was kind of annoying. I also encountered a glitch where I entered this Inn in Fritzerald (sp?) at the end of the game, and my game actually crashed and went black. It didn't affect me much as it was a sidequest near the end.

Overall, the story was your typical save the earth with time traveling. The characters were fun. I think I generally liked everyone; all my characters were equally powerful in battle. I especially liked the choice of character faces you can config, and you get to pick this funny SD-face version. The last boss was a joke - I trapped him in the corner and my mages just spammed him. He didn't even lay a finger on me. But the ending was kind of depressing... for both the real reason behind Dhaos' objectives and for the characters to depart in such a way.

I'm playing my brother's Luminous Arc right now just because that was the other game with me when I finished ToP (was not home). And I don't even usually play strategy rpgs (cuz I suck at strategy? I barely made it through FFT...). But I think I'm starting to like it.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails